Printers Row Publishing Group:

Blog

7 Fart Facts

December 29, 2015

Everything you never needed to know about the most natural of natural gases.

fart

  • Are you above average? Because the average person farts about 14 times a day. And that’s a healthy amount. That adds up to a total of half a liter of gas expelled every day.
  • If the average person parts 14 times a day, and there are 365 days in a year, and the average American lifespan is somewhere near 80 years, that means over the course of your lifetime, you’ll have farted about 41,000 times.
  • What’s in a fart? It’s 99 percent odorless gas. The other 1 percent is what gets all the attention—noxious, pungent compounds, primarily methanethiol and dimethyl sulfide.
  • It’s a myth that men fart more than women. Humans of both genders fart at about the same rate, it’s just that men are uh, less ashamed to let ’em rip than are women.
  • How fast does a fart travel? About 10 feet per second, which works out to about 7 miles per hour. At that rate, it would take a fart a little more than three hours to run a standard marathon.
  • Why are some farts stinkier than others? Some foods you eat have higher sulfurous content than others, and it’s sulphur that gives fart their distinctive aroma (which smell like sulphur, also known as “brimstone,” as in “fire and brimstone. That means hell smells like farts.) Animal-based foods, particularly eggs and meat, are rich in sulphur.
  • But it’s plant-based foods that produce not the worst flatulence, but the most flatulence. Fructose (sugar that naturally occurs in fruit) is a fart-causer, as are compounds in cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and, of course, beans.
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Follow by Email
RSS

Leave a Reply

avatar
1 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
1 Comment authors
arthur f. meincke (@artemus628) Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
newest oldest most voted
Notify of
arthur f. meincke (@artemus628)
Guest

Not farting around!

Subscribe to our Mailing List