How Big Was ‘The Force Awakens’?
Star Wars: The Force Awakens has hit home video after a box office run of $934.89 million, making it the highest grossing movie of all time. Here’s just how much money that is.
- If The Force Awakens were a country, it would have the 174th largest GDP on Earth, just behind Guinea-Bissau and ahead of Grenada.
- If The Force Awakens were a person, it would have a net worth equal to that of American hotelier Gary Tharaldson ($930 million). And he’s the richest man n North Dakota.
- The Force Awakens made more money than the eight most recent Best Picture nominees at the Academy Awards…combined.
- The Force Awakens box office is more than the market valuation of about half of all Major League Baseball teams, including the Arizona Diamondbacks, San Diego Padres, and World Series champion Kansas City Royals. It would also be enough to buy the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder, twice.
- The box office take of The Force Awakens is about equal to the amount of money after taxes the person who won the $1.5 billion Powerball jackpot earlier this year would get in a lump sum.
- The Force Awakens’ haul could be exchanged for Bitcoin. Almost all of the Bitcoin, in fact. There’s an estimated $1 billion of the online “virtual currency” in circulation.
- $934 million is enough to finance…more Star Wars movies. Disney has reportedly budgeted around $200 million to produce four more movies in the space saga, which The Force Awakens has now more than paid for.
Leave a Reply