- A newborn’s first sneeze is lucky. Before the sneeze, the baby is under the influence of bad fairies, and the newborn who does not sneeze may become a warlock or witch.
- Is she really a witch? Drive a nail into her footprint. If she returns to pull it out, she’s a witch.
- Dropping an umbrella on the floor means there will be a murder in the house.
- To remove a birthmark, rub it with a duck’s foot. (No word on whether it should be attached to the duck.)
- Don’t throw out hair trimmings. If a bird uses your hair for a nest, you’ll be prone to constant headaches.
- Your best chance of recovering from being struck by lightning is to be buried up to your neck in the ground.
- Carrying St. John’s wort keeps the devil from coming any closer than nine steps away from you.
- The pains of childbirth can be lessened by untying all knots in a house and unbraiding the woman’s hair.
- To cure a headache, rub your fingers under your arms really hard and then smell them.
- To be successful in all you do, carry a bat’s heart with you at all times.
- Break the shell of a boiled egg after eating it to keep witches from traveling in it.
- A girl who eats chicken gizzards will have big breasts.
- To avoid bad luck after seeing an ambulance, pinch your nose until you see a black or brown dog.
- A mole on the buttocks foretells death by hanging.
- Swallowing young frogs whole will cure cancer.
- If you leave the house wearing a fern, you’ll lose your way and snakes will follow you.
- Knives stay sharp longer once they have “tasted” their owner’s blood.
Leave a Reply