By Brian Boone
It’s a whole new year, and 2024 is full of promise and mystery. What’s going to happen in the next 12 months? A lot of monumental and weird stuff, if we’re to believe various astrologers, psychics, and science-fiction set in the year 2024.
• London-based astrologer and psychic Nicolas Aujula, who says he accurately predicted the COVID-19 pandemic and Prince Harry’s scandalous interview with Oprah Winfrey in years past, says that oil prices will rise in 2024, and Kim Kardashian will evolve from reality TV star into respected literary figure after publishing a well-received book.
• The 1960 movie Beyond the Time Barrier offers a very bleak image of 2024. Most of humanity has died, and those who are left live in a single subterranean city called The Citadel. And the survivors are mostly all mutated and can’t hear, talk, or reproduce.
Sign up for our mailing list to get a first look at new releases, giveaways, and more!
• Per “The Invisible Enemy,” a 1964 episode of the anthology TV series The Outer Limits, the American space program will be routinely sending manned missions to Mars by 2024. However, after one disappears on the red planet in 2021, an exploratory mission three years later uncovers the existence of flesh-hungry crab-sharks, which pretty much puts an end to the Mars program.
• Tabloid psychic John Cohan focuses on celebrity news yet to transpire. In 2024, he says that Meghan Markle will attempt to get back into acting but her project will flop, long divorced power couple Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston will reunite, and 2023’s biggest celebrity pairing—Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce—will fizzle out in the new year.
• Some good news from the 1991 film Highlander 2: The Quickening—by 2024, engineers have figured out how to solve climate change by devising and installing an artificial ozone layer. Some bad news from the same film: A powerful corporation takes control of that ozone layer in 2024 and threatens to destroy it if it doesn’t get what it wants.
• Baba Vanga, a mystic from India routinely offered psychic predictions until her death in 1996. The “Nostradamus of the Balkans” left detailed prophecies of events to come for thousands of years into the future. In 2024, according to Baba Vanga, Russian president Vladimir Putin will be assassinated by someone from his inner circle, lab-grown humans will become a thing, and scientists will find cures for both Alzheimer’s disease and cancer.
• John Michael Greer’s 2014 novel Twilight’s Last Gleaming takes place in 2024 and depicts a tumultuous presidential election year. Desperate for economic growth and falling behind as a superpower, the U.S. government invades the African nation of Tanzania to take over its oil reserves. That angers Tanzanian ally, China, which launches a war on the U.S.
• Craig Hamilton-Parker works as a medium, purportedly connecting the living with the dead, and thus privy to all kinds of information of future events. He claims to have predicted the death of Queen Elizabeth and the presidency of Donald Trump. In a two-hour-long YouTube video, he laid out his visions of 2024. He thinks Russian president Vladimir Putin will die of natural causes but be replaced by a brutal, female totalitarian. Meanwhile, a massive but non-destructive earthquake will hit half of the U.S. and most of Mexico, and a bacteria-based pandemic will come out of Australia, but it won’t last long, and few people will die.